H i s t o r y
A RAMBLING SKETCH OF ITS HISTORY, BUSINESS AND PROSPECTS - - EARLY SETTLEMENT - - PIONEERS -- BUSINESS MEN.
This comes from a small booklet printed by Telegraph and Herald Book and Job Print, Dixon, dated 1870.
The flourishing town of Franklin Grove situated on the Chicago & North Western Road, eighty-eight miles from Chicago holds a prominent place in the early history and present development of Lee county. The prosperity of its business and trade, the agricultural richness of the country around and the thrift of the farmers are eminently worthy of note among the first and most favored. Presuming that a review of men and affairs thereabout in the early settlement of the country and through the infancy of the town would be of general interest we introduce our article with sketches from the pen of one of its citizens written in the summer of 1868.
SKETCHES OF EARLY DAYS.
Among the first settlers was E. Morgan who, in 1835 erected the first house in this part of the county, near what is known as the "Old Brick Yard." There were then but a few scattering trees, and underbrush so small that cattle could be seen as plainly as upon the open prairie. On this tract of land now flourishes a dense and valuable forest, worth from $60 to $125 per acre.
In the course of the next year David Holly built a log house near where Jacob Riddlesbarger's house now stands. In the same year, Jerry Whipple erected a house on the creek, on what is known as the "Old Whipple Place," where he afterwards built a saw-mill.
The commencement of Franklin Grove dates back to 1836, when C. R. Miner erected the first house, a one story structure near the present site of G. Millers residence. He afterwards built what is now the dining-hall of J. Hughes' hotel.
During the same or following year, Mr. Vroman built a log house on the site of which Mr. T. W. Scott has lately erected his splendid residence. It was first occupied by Nathanial Yale, who in the following year built a house on Franklin Creek near the railway culvert.
The land in those days had neither been surveyed or offered for sale by the Government. The laws governing the ownership and transfer of real estate have been remodeled somewhat by later necessities. It was the practice of our early settlers to mark off the amount of land they might think their wants would require, and this was held a sacred right which must not be infringed upon or questioned. We frequently hear laughable incidents of selling "Squatter Claims." Jerry Whipple plowed for several days, surveying a tract of land embracing probably as much as is now composed in a number of towns. Many anecdotes are told of the fights he had on his way with the "Squatters." He frequently sold claims to later comers. David Holly, seeing the pecuniary benefit to be derived from holding large tracts, started out with his oxen and plowed around what is now a number of townships, embracing portions of China, Bradford, and Ogle.
FATHER WHITNEY -- EARLY SETTLERS-- FRANKLIN GROVE NURSERY
Col. Nathan Whitney and Jacob John came to this state in 1836, and in 1838, Col. Whitney built the first frame house upon the prairies, in the county, which is yet standing.
He established what is now the Franklin Grove Orchard and Nursery, in 1843. It was the first established north of the Illinois river. Under the efficient management of its present proprietor, Mr A.R. Whitney, it did at that early day much towards the development of the resources of this part of the State. Probably no one thing at that time did more for Northern Illinois than the establishment of this nursery.
We are now reaping the benefits of his labors by having older and better orchards in Lee and joining counties than in any other part of Northern Illinois. For some years it was the only nursery through this vicinity. It was the first commercial orchard and is yet the largest orchard and nursery in the State. It covers 125 acres of land, and contains 18,100 bearing apple trees, yielding annually from 6,000 to 8,000 bushels of apples. He has facilities for making cider and cider vinegar unsurpassed in the State.
Col. Nathan Whitney, or as he is now familiarly known, Father Whitney, a title which he richly deserves by having endeared himself to the citizens of this county by his faithful discharge of duty and by his many social qualities, which have made him revered as a father by all who know him, was born in Massachusetts, in 1791; he removed with his parents to Ontario county, N. Y., where he spent his youth. In 1836 he came to this State.
He is now living with his son, A. R. Whitney, in the full enjoyment of his physical and mental faculties. He is the oldest Mason in the county. During the Morgan excitement in New York he faced the storm and was "Among the many faithless, faithful found." On all occasions he is ready to assist the needy, and practices that "highest" virtue, Charity.
To show the esteem in which he is held by his Masonic Brethren, it is only necessary to state that he is an honorary member of Franklin Grove Lodge, Nachusa Chapter, Dixon Council, Dixon Commandery and Scottish Rite.
In the year 1838 Wm. H. and Harrison Hausen came here. Silas P. Tolman and John Nichols arriving about the same time. Amos Hursey and James Holly settled here in 1839.
The customs of living in the early days of the West have probably undergone as great changes as have the farming implements now used, since the farmer started out at his day's labor with his cradle, and used his barn floor for a corn sheller. Our great commercial metropolis, Chicago, was then in its infancy, and furnished but a scanty supply of the necessaries of life, and but a slim market for the farmer's produce.
The hardships and privations endured by the early settlers can scarcely be realized by us who are now enjoying the fruits of their labors. The entire absence of luxuries, with scarcely sufficient of the necessaries of life, the want of comfortable dwellings, combined with the sickness incident to a newly settled chondromata the life of the pioneer one not to be envied. About the first of August bilious and intermittent fevers would commence and continue their ravages until spring; at times there were not enough well persons in this instant colony to take care of the sick.
"SQUATTER CLAIMS" -- MARKETS -- W. H. HAUSEN.
This part of the State was but sparsely settled up to the year 1840. New and then a log house was to be seen near some grove, but few were bold enough to venture out upon the prairies. It was thought by many that they would spend all their days in loneliness and without neighbors.
The land through Northern Illinois bordering on Rock River, the most fertile and valuable in the State, was the last to be surveyed and offered for sale by the Government, -- this owing probably to the disputed claim of the Indians, they holding possession and would not relinquish their claim until 1838, when they were routed, and Black Hawk, their Chief, that ingenious and successful warrior of their race, was captured and transported beyond the Mississippi.
Previous to the Government sale of land, which was not made until about 1845, it was held by what was known as squatter claims -- by building a house and fence around what land each could cultivate, secured a clear title' a compact was entered into among the settlers that when the land came into market these claims should be held in inviolable, and when the land came into marked, each squatter was allowed to purchase the land he had previously claimed. If any outside parties came in to purchase the land from the Government held by settlers, they were either forced to relinquish their title, or were driven from the country. Some land about here was sold by the Government for one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre, which was really worth from ten to twenty dollars. Mr W.H. Hausen, one of the pioneers of the West, commenced life in the pine forests of Maine finally wended his way around the country till in 1838 he purchased one of these squatter farms, upon which he still resides, and of which he has made a noble farm. He was among the first in the country to devote his attention to the improvement of stock. The stock on his farm shows the effect of skillful breeding and careful management as do even his bees and chickens. He is one of the first horticulturists in the State. It is but necessary for those who have contended that Northern Illinois is no fruit region, to examine his orchard to dispel the delusion; he is devoting much time to the culture of pears, and is succeeding beyond his own expectations; he is also very successful in the culture of the small fruits.
The chief and almost only pursuits of the early settlers were agricultural, and the only article of produce transported to market was wheat -- corn and oats not being of sufficient value to pay the expense of marketing. At times the farmer could dispose of his grain to emigrants coming to the country to settle; but when forced to find a market, slim indeed was the price, and hard the labor that prepared his grain for market, beside hauling it about a hundred miles with an ox team to sell it and then dispose it at an average of about 40 cents per bushel. A good steer or milk cow could be bought for ten dollars.
Mr. Cyrus E. Miner bought good hogs at a dollar apiece, drove them to Milwaukee to market, and came home 35 cents in debt on each hog.
Much sport was derived from hunting and fishing. Deer abounded in the groves, chickens were to be had without number upon the prairies and the streams were filled with fish.
LAND-MARKS -- BANDITS -- REGULATORS -- MURDER
It was not until sometime between 1842 and 1845 that the land was surveyed in this part of the State. The Government was defrauded. The contract required that a peck of charcoal be buried at the corner of a section, a mound raised and a numbered stake set in each mound. An old settler informs us that the first part of the contract was filled by carrying the charcoal in a bag, burying it, and then having another man come along and take it out to bury at another corner, thus making one peck of charcoal answer to survey a whole county. It is owing to this fact that surveyors experience so much difficulty in finding section corners at the present day.
A great part of the land through this section was taken on bounty land-warrants which were sold at from 75 cents to $1 per acre. The swamplands were donated to the several towns in which they lay for school purposes.
This state was early infested with a desperate set, who frequently organized in bands, the more successfully to evade justice, committing all kinds of depredations upon the then thinly settled country, counterfeiting, thieving, robbing and even murdering. In many places this class were so strong and numerous that they controlled the county officers, frequently electing sheriffs and constables, either belonging to the band or pledged not to arrest any of them; even judges of the Court were elected by this class, so it was almost impossible to convict any of the band when they were arrested. Either the officers of justice were connected with them or some of the band would be selected as jurymen, thus preventing a verdict in the clearest cases. Even where they were convicted and imprisoned some plan was devised whereby they escaped. It became so bad in this and adjoining counties, in about 1840 that well disposed citizens organized in bands called Regulators, for the purpose of self-protection and to put down these desperadoes. And it was only after they took the laws into their own hands and administered to these banditti, that protection was secured to the citizens. In the adjoining county of Ogle, one Driscoll and son were executed by a company of Regulators, it having been known that they belonged to these bands and had been accessories to a number of murders. They were taken out in daylight by a company of about one hundred and fifty men all armed and shot,-- all firing at the same time so that no one knew who gave the fatal shot, or could appear as a witness against the other. Most of these men were afterwards tried for murder but were acquitted.
One of the most horrible murders ever committed in this county, was done in 1848 about two miles west of town. On the 20th of May Mr Joshua Wingert was searching through the grove for his cattle. He approached a small log hut, and stopped to enquire for his cattle. He pulled the latch-string and walking in a shocking spectacle met his sight, two men lay upon the bed, drenched in their own blood. He hastened away to give the alarm, not knowing but what his own family had met a similar fate. The startling news soon spread through the country and the wildest excitement prevailed. Many felt when they retired at night that a similar fate might meet them before morning. An inquest was held and it was found they had been dead some three or four days. One had his head nearly chopped off, while the other had a deep gash in his forehead, all done with their own ax.
The house was generally ransacked by the perpetrators of this horrid crime, some of the clothing in a trunk showing the marks of bloody fingers, it was supposed that one of them had considerable money about him at the time. The murderer engaged in this horrid crime has never been detected; neither has an account of the murder before been in print. Two little mounds in the grave-yards are all that now mark the final resting-place of these two Norwegians.
VILLAGE STARTED -- FIRST STORES -- NEW NAME INCORPORATED
Very little had been done towards commencing a village on the present site of Franklin Grove, till about 1849. Christian Lahman had laid out seventeen lots as the commencement of a village called Chaplin. This comprises about ten acres in the southwest corner of Franklin. Up to 1854 but little improvement had been made. C Ambrose opened the first store, John Wagner built a blacksmith shop, C. B, Bill had a small house and shoe shop on the lot now occupied by J. G. Group, which he used as a store during the building of the Railroad. Early in the spring of 1854, H. I. Lincoln purchased the first stone building in the town from L. Yale in which he commenced business in Franklin. The surrounding country had been slowly but gradually settling, till most of the best land had been purchased from the government, which was held by speculators who had obtained land warrants, entered land, and were holding it for an advance in the price. Land was but slowly advancing in price. But few had opened their eyes to a realization of what was to be the future of the country, or had ever expected to see these vast prairies all under cultivation. In 1854 the town was enlarged and given a new name -- Franklin Grove. In the fall of this year the railroad was completed to this place, the terminus of which was to be the Mississippi river. This lent new life and energy to all. The long period of despondent struggle and hard labor with but a spare recompense, was quickly changed to the other extreme, thence forward commenced the building of air castles of extravagant dimensions. Emigrants flocked in from the East, land rapidly advanced in value, town lots were held at a very high price, improved lands double in value in a few years, grain and all farm produce brought a good price. Thus many were buoyed up with the hope of gaining riches with little labor and in great haste. The town was rapidly built up. C. Durkes, J. Williams, L. M. Blaisdell, S. J. Smith & Co., C. H. Ledger and John G Chambers, with others not known to the writer, commenced business. J. Hughes built his stone hotel.
Franklin Grove was not an incorporated village till 1857. S. J. Smith was the first President of the Town Council.
After this rambling survey of the early days of Franklin and its surroundings, the reader will not object to being introduced to its present business and general features. Few towns are better located as marts of trade, and few favored with as rich and prosperous a country pouring its tributes into the warehouse, store and work shop. Situated on the margin of a beautiful grove and in the center of an agricultural section of garden richness and bounty, it is certainly one of the most favored towns, as a home and business point, within our reach. Nature and man have united to present these advantages, but the public spirit and sound sense of its citizens erected the school house and the churches which stand forth so prominently as the land-marks of its progress and ambition. It is not the yards measured at the counter nor the bushels weighed in the bin, which furnishes the index to a town's true prosperity. It is the object which men have in view which determines their worth in community and the church and the school house furnish the best guarantee of the excellence of the men who make up a town. In the respect Franklin holds a proud place, entitling it to credit and commendation.
In the van of its business are its four well stocked and prosperous dry goods houses. The establishments of;
J. W. WINGERT
Abounds in evidences of enterprise energy and prosperity. Although less than three years have passed since Mr. Wingert commenced, he may now boast of a trade seldom surpassed in extent and desirableness by any store in a town the size of Franklin. His stock of dry goods, cloths, boots, shoes and groceries are always fresh and full, and he makes it a point to sell goods as cheap as any one in the trade. Fair profits and fair dealing is the rule at Wingert's.
W. M. BALDWIN
Keeps a full and complete stock of dry goods, boots, shoes, hats, caps, groceries and everything usually in demand at a country store, and right well is he prepared for the trade. Customers will find his shelves well loaded with the desirable articles which make life comfortable and pleasant. Mr. Baldwin is on hand to accommodate and serve customers with just what they want at as low a price as they can reasonably want. And there's
G. MILLER & CO.,
The men who keep dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes, hats, caps, shears, pen-knives, pitchforks, hay rakes, sugar, tea, coffee and everything under the sun, that is useful about the farm or in the house. It matters not a whit what is wanted, go to Miller's and it can be had at the most reasonable figures, and of the very best quality. The store of
H. I. LINCOLN,
Is the oldest dry goods establishment in the town. Mr. Lincoln, having been one of the early pioneers of the place, and one of those steady, patient men who always make success by sticking faithfully to their calling. His store is a fine stone building, an ornament to the town and a credit to the builder. He keeps a full stock and complete assortment in the dry goods and grocery lines, and is always on hand to serve customers and give them good bargains. Mr. Lincoln also deals in grain, buying and shipping.
In the lumber line, Messrs. Frost & Barger and Mr. W. B. Hunt, are prepared to provide all comers with lumber of all kinds without limit. The facilities of both yards are such that on the shortest notice they can supply any demand, however great, at desirable figures.
George H. Taylor makes grain buying and shipping a business, and therefore can offer good inducements to the producer to ship at Franklin. He handles a large amount of grain every season and has every facility for accommodating the farmer . He also deals in agricultural implements, and farm machinery of all kinds doing a large business in these lines.
R. A. BRUCE
In the matter of hardware, stoves and tinware of every kind and variety, few towns are more favored than Franklin. Mr. Bruce keeps one of the largest and most complete stocks ever found in a hardware house, and withal manifests the most commendable business enterprise. His stock is always very large, and his prices are as low as can be found anywhere in the West. He in consequence of his energy and low prices has built up a large and most valuable trade, both in the sale and manufacturing department of the business.
Mr Trotnow keeps a number one furniture store, and carries on a nice trade. Everything in his line can be found in his store, and he manufactures with skill and rare good taste anything under the head of furniture or cabinet work. The reader will do well to stick a pin here and give Mr. Trotnow a call.
Messrs. Rooney & Spickler keep a drug establishment which would be a credit to any city. They have erected a fine brick building and fitted up on the first floor a tasty and commodious store room, while the second is used as a Masonic Hall, beautifully arranged and decorated. Messrs. Rooney & Spickler keep a large and complete stock of drugs, medicines, paints and oils, and in addition they carry a full stock of groceries and a fine assortment of ladies shoes and gaiters. Their establishment is a credit and ornament to the town.
Mr George T. Weigle keeps a good stock of drugs, medicines and notions of all kinds; carries on a good trade and is gradually increasing it. From a small beginning he has established a very prosperous business.
The large stone hotel of J. Hughes known by every one for years as the "Hughes House," supplies the best of accommodations for the floating populace, and sends the traveler from Franklin with a good impression within, while kind -------- leaves a good impression without. Altho situated some distance from the depot, it is worth being sought, and hacks run to and from at the arrival of every train.
The "Sherman House," standing beside the track near the depot has a good reputation under the present management of Wm. Kitner & Son. It has been fitted up in shape and offers good accommodations.
This seems to be a good point in our sketch to notice the medicine men, without which Franklin, though very healthy, could never prosper.
Dr. G. W. Hewitt, the Allopathic practitioner of the place, had done good service for many years to the afflicted about Franklin, and is popular far and near for his skill and success. His circuit is very large and his practice extensive.
Dr. S. A. Griswold, of the Eclectic school, has for several years ridden a circuit in the adjoining country and carried on a good practice, although the advocates of his system seem to be in the minority.
Dr. Urisa C. Roe has recently located in town. What school he follows we are not advised, though he differs from either of the others.
The millinery and dress-making line is amply and ---- provided for by Mrs. Robinson & Spatford, Mrs. Mary J. Twombly, Mrs Rebecca Campbell and Mrs. Boyes. With such an array of Queens of the needle and shears, we may rightly conclude that the ladies of Franklin and vicinity keep up with the times and exhibit a due allowance of style.
As co laborers in the good work of rendering the human form divine more presentable, we find Mr. A. S. Sall and Mr. Detrick, worthy knights of the shears, cutting close and giving men fits.
Mr. Wm. Crawford is one of the old wagon makers of Franklin doing a large business and always doing good work.
Note: there were two other wagon making businesses mentioned, but the print was not legible.
But what would a wagon be worth without a harness for the horse? Mr. Joseph Graff and M. L. Grover are always on hand ready with nimble knife and awl to furnish just the harness wanted, at most reasonable figures.
And a horse without shoes, would be only half a horse for man's purposes. We therefore find Sol. Sunday in full blast to shoe the horse as few others can, and do general blacksmith work in short order and in good shape.
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS
In the journey of life men's soles become a matter of solicitude. Mr. C. Lager and L. Trotnow are the men who attend to those matters, but if men would only get their boots and shoes of them, there would be little solicitude on the score of the soles. They do a good business and are popular in their calling.
Squire Wm. S. Thompson has been chosen by the people for many years to dispense justice to all to whom justice is due. It might be supposed that among such a people as abide in and about Franklin there would be little use for law or its picked officers, but Squire Thompson, either because of his popular way of dealing out justice, or because the people do sometimes itch for the lash of law, does a considerable business in his official capacity. When, however, we remember that he is the only magistrate in the town, we can but conclude in accordance with the fact that Franklin is a peaceable and harmonious community Squire Thompson also pays particular attention to collections.
John Stewart is the barber who does the town shaving. For clean, smooth shaves, Stewart is warranted.
Mr. R. Robinson carries on the watch making and jewelry business, doing good work and keeping a good stock. Men whose time gets out of joint or behind should remember Mr. Robinson, and give him a call.
H. A. BLACK
In the line of books, stationery and fancy goods, Franklin is well provided by Mr. H. A. Black, P. M., "which is Post Master." -- Mr. Black keeps always on hand a good assortment of fancy articles, a complete stock of stationery and school books, and many desirable and standard works, and has every facility for supplying on short notice everything in th the catalogue of his trade. Always courteous and obliging, he is a success as a Post Master, and although Black is, to use a Western expression, "every inch white" wherever we find him.
Mr A. M. Williams supplies the candy and refreshment seekers with a good stock and ample accommodations. Sweet is an essential commodity, and likewise, it seems, are nuts, fruits and tobacco in all its ugliness -- all of which can be found in their best shapes and tastes at Williams'.
J. C. SECRIST
Buys butter, eggs and other farm products, we believe, always paying the highest market prices for everything. He seems to think that he can do a little better by the seller than any one else. Try him.
Mrs E. E. Faunce is the artist who preserves the soul-lit face against the assaults of time. A wonderful thing is the art Photographic, and Mrs. Faunce is skilled in its practice. She "takes" in good style anybody that can be "taken," and seems to give good satisfaction.
About two miles east (west?) of Franklin, on Franklin Creek, are the Franklin Mills, Capt. R. L. Irwin proprietor. These mills are justly popular, both for custom and merchant work, and under the hand of their energetic owner are doing a large business. They do a heavy custom business, and in addition turn out a large amount of merchant flour which is sold in all the towns around and is universally popular as number one family flour.
The Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran and Universalist denominations have each a church in the town, and each is in a prosperous condition. - Rev. Spencer Baker is pastor of the Presbyterian church; Rev J. Williamson, of the Methodist church, Rev. Hudson Chase, of the Universalist, and Rev. Wm. Angelgerger, of the Lutheran church.
Masonry is represented by Franklin Grove Lodge, No. 264, A. F. & A. M., and by Nathan Whitney Chapter, No. 129, R. A. M.
There is also a prosperous lodge at Odd Fellows, under the name of Franklin Grove Lodge, No. 409, I. O. of O. F.
The Good Templars have also a lodge in Franklin, which meets every Saturday night. Prosperity and conquest attend them in their good work!
We come now to notice the features of Franklin Grove second only to its churches in point of importance and influence. The public schools of the town are its proudest pillars since the civilization of this as of every other country, moves on the school benches, and sows its golden seed about the country school houses of the land. -- Franklin may well be proud of its schools, and parents may be thankful that such advantages fall in the paths of their children. Mr. T. W. Scott, the Principal of the schools, is a teacher of long experience and continued success, and is popular among pupils and patrons alike.
Room No. 4, or the Higher Department is taught by Miss Julia M. Bracket. Room No. 3 is presided over by Miss Jennie Brown. Room No. 2 has Miss Maggie R. Bailey for teacher and the teacher of Room No. 1 is Miss Rebecca Secrist. This array makes a corps of very competent and ambitious teachers, working in harmony toward the one purpose, to advance the interests of the student. There are ------- attendance in the various departments. 196 pupils making a very large school for the size of the place.
Mr. Israel Zugg, supplies the town with the sweetest and tenderest of meat the year round, warranted to give strength to the weak and make the strong stronger.
FARM AND STOCK
A sketch of Franklin would be incomplete without mention of A. R. Whitney's trees and fruit, noted elsewhere; Samuel Dysart's fine herd of short horn cattle, having no superiors hereabout; Wm Dysart's perfect farm' Col. Dysarts grapes and fruit; W. H. Hausen's delicious apples, and numerous other attractions abounding in the rich country surrounding the town.--But time and space prevent our giving them more than a passing mention.
In this thriving town of Franklin Grove is published a live six-column paper, christened The Franklin Grove Reporter, with Mr. John Blocker as editor and proprietor. Favored with a good circulation and liberal advertising patronage, the Reporter is now one of the institutions of the place. We cordially wish it and its engaging proprietor many years of smooth and prosperous sailing.
Thus ends this hasty, imperfect and, we fear in too many cases, unjust sketch of the goodly town under review. we have endeavored to touch on all its features without imparting any extravagant coloring from our pencil. It is indeed a good town, nestling, as it were, in the lap of one of the richest agricultural districts in the West, and blessed with a community of the most intelligent and substantial men of the country. Long prosper Franklin and its people.
FRANKLIN GROVE - 1923 -
In the Heart of the Dairy Belt Where the Blue Grass Grows
Franklin Grove, with a population of 700 in Lee County, a thriving and industrious busy little city on the main line of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway, on the Lincoln Highway, 10 miles from Dixon, the county seat, and 88 miles from Chicago. It has four churches of different denominations; two well organized bands, a live weekly newspaper; cement walks, fire department and a 24-hour light and power service. It is situated in one of the finest agricultural and dairy regions of the state, the soil being well adapted to dairying and livestock raising which are the chief industries, while diversified farming is extensively practiced. All kinds of grasses and forage are grown here in abundance and the community this season, as in previous years, has enjoyed an abundant crop. A great deal of thoroughbred livestock is also raised. Improved farm land is worth $150 to $250 per acre and is an investment worth the most careful consideration of the future settler who is looking for a desirable and prosperous location.
Franklin Grove has a splendid representative list of all business houses whose motto it is to keep down high prices and invite exclusive home trade.
The business men are wide awake and energetic and of wide business acumen, who are ready at all times to lend assistance and can be depended upon for their cooperation.
Other features are excellent train and good bus service, direct market facilities for all its products with Chicago, the world market, fine water, good roads and an ideal climate.
Franklin Grove is surrounded by numerous lakes, rivers and streams, which makes this a paradise for the tourist who is lucky enough to plan a stop over here. Fishing, bathing, boating and dancing with a large auditorium where motion pictures, opera and other entertainments are given.
The room is here for thousands of people; those who are just starting out in life or desire to change their location; some with limited means and a laudable ambition to possess a home; others with capital who desire to get in on the "ground floor" and secure property which must of necessity in the next few years increase greatly in value, will find this the ideal spot for investment. At all times the people have been ambitious for the future, they have appreciated the great wealth of natural resources and the inexhaustible opportunities for the investment of capital and have a firm and abiding faith in the future of their town.
In educational advantages the city is on a par with those of several times its size, having an accredited state high school where the children are given the benefits of a full high school course, music, domestic science, manual training and agriculture.
With Your Help -- Watch Us Grow
Excerpted from : 1923 INFORMATION POCKET DIRECTORY OF FRANKLIN GROVE, Illinois